Farnborough Air Sciences Museum
What’s at the Museum
Aircraft on Display
The museum has acquired aircraft, parts of aircraft, nose sections and cockpits of historical and scientific interest, many of these are on display in the grounds of the museum.
English Electric/BAC Lightning T.5 XS420
The Lightning was the first and only interceptor/fighter designed and built in Britain capable of achieving supersonic speeds in level flight. The Rolls-Royce Avon 302 powered fighter was a complex machine that evolved over time, contributing for several decades to the UK’s Quick Reaction Alert (QRA). It continued to undertake this role until the last two squadrons in service, 5 and 11, were retired in December 1987 and April 1988, respectively.
The Lightning at FAST is T.5 XS420, a two-seat training variant of the F.3 fighter. It is on loan to the museum from owner Richard Hall.
GAF Jindivik Target Aircraft ZJ496
The Jindivik is a target drone produced by the Australian Government Aircraft Factory (GAF). The name derives from the Aboriginal word meaning ‘the hunted one’. The prototype drone flew on 28th August 1952 and many were in use by the RAE at the Llanbedr establishment and flown over the Aberporth test range. This drone stands on its original launch trolley and completed 12 sorties before retirement to the FAST Museum.
Hawker Siddeley Harrier T.4 XW934
This aircraft was the first generation of the Harrier series, the first operational close support and reconnaissance fighter aircraft with a Vertical/Short Take-Off and Landing capability (VSTOL). The Museum Harrier XW934 (C/N 212017) was flown to RAE Farnborough in 1990 at the end of its service life and was used as an Electromagnetic Compatibility test vehicle, it was donated by QinetiQ to FAST in 2009 and is complete with all its systems.
Hawker Hunter T7 WV383
This Hunter WV383, originally a single seat F4 and later converted to a 2 seat T7, was fitted with sensors and displays specifically to support airborne research and demonstration trials. This aircraft was delivered to the Museum in June 2002.
Hawker Hunter T7 XL563
Institute of Aviation Medicine
The Hawker Hunter T7 variant was developed from the Hunter F.4 as a private venture by Hawker Aircraft during 1954. XL563 was the first production aircraft and first flew on 11th October 1957. After completing release trials with Aeroplane and Armament Experimental Establishment (A&AEE) Boscombe Down, and then a short stint supporting trials at Filton, it was delivered to the RAF Institute of Aviation Medicine (IAM) at Farnborough on 2nd May 1963. The aircraft remained at Farnborough for over 30 years until retirement on 9th July 1993 and completed 2,979 flying hours. The aircraft served as the test bed for many aviation ‘firsts’, contributing significantly to the safety and operational effectiveness of current aircraft and their crews world-wide, civilian and military.
English Electric Canberra B (I).6 WT309
Built by English Electric at Preston, this Canberra carried out its first flight in 1955 and arrived at Farnborough in 1957. It carried out trials-flying up to the mid-1980s when it was retired from the RAE fleet, after a stint allocated to A&AEE Boscombe Down for apprentice training it was moved to the Museum.
Folland Gnat XP516
The Gnat was generally used as a training aircraft by the RAF CFS and No4 FTS at RAF Valley for some 16 years. This airframe returned to instructional duties at RAF Cosford in 1978 before being allocated to Farnborough, where it was used for studies in airframe vibration before retiring to the FAST Museum.
SEPECAT Jaguar XW566
This aircraft was the initial RAF Jaguar B (two-seat Trainer) and the final prototype (B08). The aircraft was used extensively through its life to support trials, flying until 1985 when it was retired from flight. It supported further ground-based activity until being delivered to FAST in 2004.
Westland Lynx AH.7 ZD280
Once a familiar sight and sound in Hampshire’s skies, the Army Air Corps’ Westland Lynx AH.7s were finally retired from service on 31st July 2015. This example, ZD280, has been loaned to Farnborough Air Sciences Trust.
Westland Scout XP848
The Westland Scout was a light helicopter developed by Westland Helicopters between 1960 and 1968. This aircraft C/no. F.9474 first flew at White Waltham Airfield on 13th April 1962. Following a varied life including Trials at A&AEE, display aircraft at the Paris Airshow, service in Germany, it finally ended up as a gate guard at Princess Marina College before being transferred to FAST in Sept 2015, after a total of 4092 flying hours.
Aerospatiale Puma Helicopter XW241
This helicopter was acquired by RAE Bedford in 1973, where it was extensively modified to support a wide range of research activities. The aircraft was employed in a number of experiments using specially modified main rotor blades to gain an understanding of rotor performance aerodynamics; the first time this had been done in flight. The work completed using this aircraft facilitated the record breaking Lynx Helicopter and subsequent British Experimental Rotor Programme for which a Queens Award for Industry was made to DRA and Westlands.
Concorde Fatigue Testing Airframe 006
This cowling housed the Concorde engine primary nozzles. This example was recovered from Air France Concorde F-BVFD, which suffered a heavy landing at Dakar in 1977 and was eventually stripped for spares.
Concorde Engine Exhaust Cowling
Fatigue Testing of Concorde Airframe 006, the example here, was at the time the most complex and exhaustive test ever carried out. It was undertaken at the RAE initially to support certification, which started in August 1973 and was compete by the end of 1975. This section the of the airframe was recovered from the BA Cabin Crew Training Facility at Heathrow.
Boeing 747-400 Winglets
Winglets are designed to reduce wingtip vortices. The initial concept dates back to 1897 when English engineer Frederick Lanchester patented wing end plates as a method for controlling wingtip vortices. This set of winglets came from a retired Cathay Pacific Airlines Boeing 747-467, B-HUA (C/N 25127) which ended its flying days in 2015.
WE177 A and B Free Fall Nuclear Weapons
The RAF’s ‘Red Beard’ nuclear weapon was in service until 1971, but with the nuclear components becoming smaller, back in 1962 Operational Requirement 1177 (OR1177) was issued for a smaller and more flexible weapon.
RAE Farnborough, as the Technical Authority, was heavily involved in the development of the weapon, with Hunting Engineering as the Coordinating Design Authority and AWRE being responsible for all nuclear aspects.
Rolls Royce Merlin Aero Engine
The Merlin engine was one of the most successful aircraft engines of the World War II era. Some 50 versions were built by Rolls-Royce to power the Sptifire, Hurricane, Lancaster and Mosquito, to name but a few.
The museum is indebited to Mr Peter Carter for the loan of the engine on display in the Museum which can be viewed in the Cody Pavilion.
Details coming soon…
Black Arrow Rocket
Details coming soon…
The Cody Flyer
Details coming soon…
The Cody Kite
Details coming soon…
MUSEUM OPENING HOURS
Saturdays, Sundays and
Bank Holiday Mondays
10.00am - 4.00pm
The 2023 Wind Tunnel Tour Season is now CLOSED but the waiting list for 2024 is OPEN. The 2024 Wind Tunnel Tour Season runs from 31st March to 27th October 2024. Details at Wind Tunnel Tours>>